Today, data volumes are growing exponentially and organizations of every size are struggling to manage what has become a very expensive and complex problem. It causes real issues such as:
- Overprovisioning their backup infrastructure to anticipate rapid future growth.
- Legacy systems can’t cope and backups take too long or are incomplete.
- Companies miss recovery point objectives and recovery time targets.
- Backups overload infrastructure and network bandwidth.
- Not embracing new technologies, such as cloud backup, because there is too much data to transfer over wide area networks.
New technology advances are needed to combat the unstoppable and exponential growth of virtual machines and data. In this paper, we will cover Arcserve’s approach to data deduplication.